Phone Guide: How To Root The HTC Desire
Ok, so the process is now complete, and root access has been gained for the fantastic phone that is the HTC Desire. There are a number of reasons why you might want to root your HTC Desire:
- Store apps on your sdcard instead of phone memory. So no more running out of space to install apps!
- Get rid of those stupid demo apps your provider adds to your phone.
- Turn your phone into a WiFi hotspot. Other devices can connect via wireless and share your phones internet
- Take screenshots of your phone from your phone.
- Better memory management, your phone will never slow down!
- Overclock your phone, more speed! (If possible!)
- Full backup ability. Backup your whole phone state. Restoring this backup puts your phone in the exact same condition as the backup.
- Use Market Enabler to access paid apps if currently unavailable in your country.
Lets get on with this then!
Ok, so first things first. Don't be scared by the following, if you follow instructions all is good. However, you MUST follow the instructions. If you decide to follow this guide, then you do so at your own risk. I take no responsibility for any damage you may do.
Here are a few things to take note of:
- This guide lets you root only a HTC Desire which has a bootloader version of 0.75 or below. To check the bootloader version:
- Switch off the device
- Turn it on whilst holding the ‘back’ key
- You should be able to see the text ‘HBOOT’, and a version number besides it.
- This number is the bootloader version.
- If you have a bootloader version 0.80 or above then use this guide instead.
- This process will wipe all the data from your phone, follow the instructions for backup instructions.
- In order to get apps2sd you will have to format your sd card. Make sure you copy all contents of your sd card to your pc so you can add them back after the format.
You will need the following items to root your HTC Desire:
- Windows PC
- MicroUSB cable
- MicroSD card
- Spare MicroSD card made into a GoldCard <Instructions Here>
Backup Your DataAs mentioned earlier, this process will wipe both your phone and sdcard. So to keep your settings/data you need a backup tool. By far the best one I know of on the android market isMyBackup Pro. MyBackup Pro is a paid application, but you can use the free version for a free 30 day trial. You can then backup all your data, and restore it after the rooting:Some people have run into issues backing up apps with MyBackup. Because of this I recommend using AppMonster (free on the market) to backup your apps.
MyBackup Free MyBackup Pro AppMonster
Download Required FilesDownload the following files to your PC:
Create a GoldcardCreate a goldcard by following the instructions found here.
Run Test RUU Installation
- Turn your phone off and insert the GoldCard microsd card into the phone.
- Turn the phone on and connect it to your PC (harddrive mode).
- Move the rootedupdate.zip download onto the sdcard now in the phone.
- Turn off your phone, and unplug it from your PC
- Turn it on again while holding the back button.
- You will see FASTBOOT on the screen in a red box.
- Connect the phone to your Windows PC and run the textruu.exe you downloaded earlier.
- Once the update is complete, your phone will enter the default configuration wizard. Turn your phone of right away at this point.
- With the phone turned off, unplug it from your PC.
Root Your HTC Desire
- Turn on your phone while holding the volume down button.
- You will see HBOOT on the screen.
- Use the volume buttons to move up and down and power button to select the RECOVERY option.
- You will now see a red triangle on the screen, at this point plug your phone into your PC via your microUSB cable.
- Unzip the file pushfiles_windows.zip that you downloaded earlier, and double click on recovery-windows.bat inside this unzipped folder.
- Once you run it you will notice, the screen of your device change to a green recovery image menu.
- In the recovery image, Select Wipe > Wipe Data/Factory Reset using the optical trackpad
- Now, from the same menu, select Flash ZIP from SDCard and choose the rooted update. Confirm with the optical trackball. This process may take a while so be patient.
- When the flash has finished, reboot, and you are DONE!
Install Apps2SdYou can install Apps2Sd by following the instructions found here.