Phone Guide: How To Root The HTC Desire - All Versions!
Here at Droid Den, we have provided previous guides on how to root your HTC Desire, but each one was dependent upon you running a certain bootloader version on your HTC Desire. Well not any more, this guide will let you root your Desire, regardless of your bootloader version or screen type. It just doesn't matter. Thinking about why you should root your Desire? Take a look at these advantages:
- Store apps on your sdcard instead of phone memory, regardless of whether the app lets you or not.
- Get rid of those stupid demo apps your provider adds to your phone.
- Take screenshots of your phone from your phone.
- Much better memory management, your phone will never slow down!
- Overclock your phone, more speed! (If possible!)
- Underclock your phone when you don't need power to save battery.
- Full backup ability. Backup your whole phone state. Restoring this backup puts your phone in the exact same condition as the backup.
- UseÂ Market Enabler to access paid apps if currently unavailable in your country.
- Theme your phone as much as you like.
If you are new to rooting, why not have a quick read of our Android Rooting Glossary of Terms first? If you are still unsure feel free to leave a comment and I'll do my best to answer it for you.
Ok, so follow the jump for the guide!
Right, so now the disclaimer time. Nothing is likely to go wrong, and even if something does, we should be able to get you back up and running in no time. However, I have to let you know that byÂ following this guide, you do soÂ at your own risk. I take noÂ responsibilityÂ for any damage you may do. I am however, very happy to take responsibility for the great success you will have ;)
This guide may end up wiping your data, so please do back up anything that is important to you. It's good to take regular backups anyway. Unless you are like me, and everything valuable on your phone is actually stored in the cloud!
Backup Your DataAs mentioned earlier, this process will wipe both your phone and sdcard. So to keep your settings/data you need a backup tool. By far the best one I know of onÂ theÂ android market isMyBackup Pro. MyBackup Pro is a paid application, but you can use the free version for a free 30 day trial. You can then backup all your data, and restore it after the rooting:Some people have run into issues backing up apps with MyBackup. Because of this I recommend using AppMonster (free on the market) to backup your apps.
MyBackup Free MyBackup Pro AppMonster
Download Required FilesDownload the following files:
Uninstall HTC SyncUninstall the HTC Sync software from your computer if you have it installed. Do this via your Control Panel then Add/Remove Programs (or Unistall Programs depending on your OS)
Run Reflash Package
- Double-click on the reflash_package.exe you have downloaded above.
- Connect your phone
- If you are given the option to install HBOOT driver, then click on this and follow the instructions. If not download the drivers and install them manually using these instructions.
- Reopen the reflash_package.exe once the drivers have been installed.
- Enable USB debugging on your phone by doing the following on your phone:
- Tick USB Debugging
- Extract the package to a suitable location.
- Follow the instructions in theÂ hboot driver.htm file in the location specified above.
- Download and install HTC sync from the official HTC website.
- This may be contradicting, but trust me. Once installed, now uninstall HTC sync, BUT leave the driver software installed.
- Reboot your PC.
- On your Desire
- Go to Settings > Connect to PC > Default connection type > Disk drive and then untick Ask Me.
- Go to Settings > Applications > Development and then tick USB Debugging.
- Go to Settings > Applications and then tick Unknown Sources.
- On your PC, open the reflash.exe file (Run this file as administrator on Win Vista/7) that was extracted to your specified location in step b.
- STOP IMPORTANT [AMOLED screen owners please skip to j]
- IF YOU HAVE AN SLCD SCREENDO THE FOLLOWING:
- Download this file:Â recovery-clockwork-184.108.40.206-bravo-slcd.img
- In the reflash.exe you just opened do File > Custom Recovery and select theÂ recovery-clockwork-220.127.116.11-bravo-slcd.imgÂ file you just downloaded
- IF YOU HAVE AN SLCD SCREENDO THE FOLLOWING:
- Connect your Desire to your PC via usb cable.
- Wait for a bout 2 minutes until your phone goes into recovery mode
- Press reboot
- Your desire is now rooted!
Install a Custom Rooted ROM
- You are now ready to install a custom rom, please follow this guide to do so!