Android Guide: How To Create a Gold Card
A GoldCard is a special SD card that allows you to flash your phone with a new ROM. This is required as part of the process of rooting your HTC Desire amongst other devices. If you need a new sdcard for your goldcard you can pick up a really cheap 2GB one for less than £5 in supermarkets such as Tesco!
So lets jump straight into the guide:
- Format your spare microSD card to FAT32 format.
- Put the microSD card in your phone and turn it on, once turned on attach your phone to your PC.
- Download an app called GoldCard Helper from the market. Use this to get your mmc cards long number by following the app instructions.
Download the Android SDK Unzip the sdk to any folder you like (eg My Documents). Go to start menu > select run and type cmd followed by pressing Enter. Replacing with the address you unzipped the file to, type >cd android-sdk-windowstools. eg cd C:UsersHomeDocumentsandroid-sdk-windowstools Type >adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid and press Enter. You should get a very long number which looks like this: 532600bd227d9c0347329407514d5402. Go to this page, paste in your number and click Submit. Copy this new number.
- Visit this page, enter the new copied number and create your goldcard image, which will be e-mailed to you.
- Save the file attached in the email to your PC.
- Download and open the HxD Hex Editor, available for download here ("Run as Administrator" under Vista and win 7).
- Go to the Extra menu and select Open Disk. Under physical disk, select Removable Disk (your microSD card), uncheck Open as Read only and click OK. Note that you should select physical disk NOT the logical disk. This is important!
- Go to the Extra menu again and select Open Disk Image. Open the goldcard image that you received by email.
- Press OK when prompted for Sector Size (selecting 512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks)) and click OK.
- You should now have two tabs - one is your removable disk, the other is your goldcard image.
- Click on the goldcard image tab. Go to the Edit menu, choose Select All then select the Edit menu again and select Copy.
- Click on the Removable Disk tab. Highlight offset (line) 00000000 to offset (line) 00000170 (including the 00000170 line), then click on the Edit menu and select Paste Write.
- Click on the File menu and select Save, accepting the warning.
And there you have your new GoldCard. You are now ready to continue onto rooting your phone!