App Guide: Add Voice Search To HTC Phones
So back in the day when I first got my HTC Hero, voice search was available to download from the market, an app direct from HTC. For some reason it was removed, and has never been seen since. Amongst other things, this app added a new icon to the Quick Search Bar (the bar that appears when you press search from the home screen, or on the HTC search widget). The new icon was a microphone, and clicking on it allowed to to speak your search, rather than type it, and damn was it accurate!
Noticing that people new to HTC devices will not have this app, I thought it might be a good idea to post it up here, with some simple instructions on how to install it. So here goes.
To use the application once installed simply go to your main screen and either press the search button and select the mic icon, or long press on the search button and speak!
Make sure you have enabled Unknown Sources to install this app: Settings > Applications > Unknown Sources
Download To Phone
- Download theÂ app for your HTC Desire/HTC LegendÂ or HTC Hero.
- When completed click on the download (and select Package Installer if asked).
- Click Install when prompted.
Download To PC
- Download theÂ app for yourÂ HTC Desire/HTC Legend orÂ HTC Hero.
- Connection your phone to you PC via USB cable and select Disk Drive mode.
- Copy the downloaded file to your phones sdcard (any location, just remember where you put it).
- Download an application called Astro File Manager from the android market.
- Open Astro File Manager and browse to the file you previously placed on the sdcard.
- Click on the file and select Open App Manager from the popup list.
- Select Install, followed by install again when prompted.