App Guide: Add Google Talk To Orange HTC Desire
So, as those of you you have had an Android device before know, Google Talk is an integral part of the Android operating system. So much so that the Market App will not even work without it! Its akin to your Messages app, it simply should be present.
So those of you on Orange may be more than a little surprised to see that Orange have actually removed the Google Talk application from their HTC Desire Firmware!! I didn't believe it myself to begin with either. What they actually did was remove the front of the app, but keep the GTalk service running in the background, as like I mentioned before this service is required to be able to download apps from the market!
Follow the break for full installation instructions..
Make sure you have enabled Unknown Sources to install this app: Settings > Applications > Unknown Sources
Download To Phone
- Download the application here or by scanning the above QR code from your phone.
- When completed click on the download (and select Package Installer if asked).
- Click Install when prompted.
Download To PC
- Download the application.
- Connection your phone to you PC via USB cable and select Disk Drive mode.
- Copy the downloaded file to your phones sdcard (any location, just remember where you put it).
- Download an application called Astro File Manager from the android market.
- Open Astro File Manager and browse to the file you previously placed on the sdcard.
- Click on the file and select Open App Manager from the popup list.
- Select Install, followed by install again when prompted.